About Me

My photo
I have worked in health care information management for more than 13 years. I have been a patient of many physicians for much longer. I have found most physicians to be devoted and conscientious but captive to systems and processes that they often don't even think about. We could all benefit from better communication. I'm on LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/in/mpmeier)

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Grace

Grace is the slender but unbreakable thread upon which we are all suspended.  If you happen to be a Christian (as I am) you should know this already.  Other faiths may share this dependence in some way.  Buddhists, for example practice to become at one with life, accepting everything as part of the journey, believing that it is possible to transcend the journey.

I'm sure that Buddhists would express this differently and I won't even attempt a similar expression for Islam or the other religions.

In my mind the most elegant expression of grace is the story (in John chapter 8) of the woman who was apprehended in adultery and brought to Jesus as a test.  Jesus had given the religious Jews the idea that he might not support the ancient Law.  They asked Jesus to condemn the woman according to the Law.  As you will recall, he agreed that she had violated the Law and suggested that whoever among them had not violated the Law should be the one to throw the first stone.

One by one they were shamed by this until none were left.  At this point Jesus asked the woman who was condemning her.  When she answered that there was no one, he said, "Neither do I condemn you."

That's grace.  He then sent her on her way, suggesting that she give up her life of sin.  It would be startling to find out that she had been stoned the very next week after being caught in adultery again.  I put myself in the shoes of this woman and think that if I had been required to confess in order to escape punishment, I would certainly have done so.  Then I would have begun resenting that coercion immediately.  That resentment would certainly have led me back to the sinful life.

It is critical to the concept of Grace that Jesus never asked the woman for anything.  No seed of resentment was planted.  I could walk away completely free and begin at that moment a new kind of life. 

If you believe that confession is a prerequisite to forgiveness, you're probably not a parent.  As a parent, I know that I can demand a confession and apology and I will probably get them.  I also know that an assurance of love and forgiveness will elicit truly sincere remorse including repentance.  Repentance in avoidance of punishment is cheap and unreliable.  Repentance in response to forgiveness (grace) can last the rest of one's life.

You are loved and your are forgiven.  Let your life be a response to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment